Tuesday 26 July 2016

Alders Farm 26 07 16 Pines Lake

Seeing as I managed a pick up last week I thought it would be rude not to give it back to them this week. Todays match was on Pines lake at Alders Farm, and with the Maggotdrowning.com website holding their annual pairs match this weekend I thought I had better post this so people attending have an idea of how it is fishing. After a net dip including the stink bag, I was off to the cafe to await the others.
There were only 7 Anglers fishing the knock up today but the lake had a few pleasure anglers on to spread the fish out a bit. There was a slight breeze blowing into the corner of peg 1 and an area that normally fishes quite well with a ripple on the water.
With all the monies paid in the draw could take place. Ricky was on Peg1, Ken on 2 Ash on 4 with Brian on 5, Dennis on 8, Matt on 10 and myself on 12. So we all had a bit of room to fish.
One thing I have found on this lake is that we over complicate things by having too many lines and fishing them all quite negatively. Today, I set up 4 rigs,two for up in the water and two deck rigs. However they were all to be fished over one line, 2+2. I had one deck and uitw rig set with a plain size 16 B911x on .20 Stroft, the other two both incorporated a hair rigged band. Bait was Corn and both 6 or 8mm fishery pellet over 4mm fishery feed pellets.
At the all in, I threw around 20 4mm pellets and started off on the banded pellet, promptly foul hooking and losing my first five fish. It was shallow, at around 20 inches so out came the shallow rig at 1/2 depth. This worked with hooking fish in the mouth but the black hydro was too soft so I switched to red and this cured the problem.After a couple of hours I had 18 fish for about 40lb. However the third hour was slow, with only 4 fish coming to the net.all taken on corn, I was having to drip feed pellets regularly with 3 or 4 grains of corn every couple of minutes.and fish shallow to get a proper bite, when it was on the deck the float was moving around too much on both corn and pellet hookbaits.
Hour 4 improved with me doubling my weight to around the ton mark, I was still having to chase the fish up and down in the water, but at least I was still catching. The only downside to the peg is that all you can see are the anglers on 8 and 10 so you do not know how it is fishing properly and whether you need to increase the catch rate.
Going into the last hour I was catching quite well, only small fish around 2-3lb but regularly and I reckoned on putting 50lb in the net in this spell. I thought I had beaten Matt and Dennis but the better pegs I could not tell. When the Scales came round I was pleased to place 156-04, Matt had 129-02 while Dennis did not weigh in. Brian then placed 226-03 on the scales with plenty of peg 5 edge fish. Ash secured only his second ton on the complex with 113-09 whilst Ken put 152-06 before Ricky was last to weigh with 222-03, pushing me into 3rd place.
Overall, it fished well and with the MD's Friday match on the lake it should continue to do so. If I was fishing the weekend I would take with me to cover the 3 days, 12 tins of corn, 8pints of maggot and at least 6 bags of 4mm fishery pellets. You do not need a lot of 6mm and 8mm pellets, but they do come in handy on the hook. It is a shame I cannot be with you guys, but that cursed word Work gets in the way. Have a good one and good luck to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment