Wednesday 31 August 2016

Alders Farm Ash Lake 30 08 16 + Toft Lakes 31 08 16

Sorry for the delay but it seems I do not have a lot of time at present. Probably because I have been on the bank a couple of times a week for the last fortnight.
Anyway, the Alders Farm Costcutter matches on a Tuesday are starting to gain a bit of a following, with 14 anglers in attendance, especially seeing as the final of the Matchman League took place the previous day on the Bank Holiday Monday. Well done Colin Fossdyke on the win.
Mick the Meat was in attendance today, so the MK Nugget was resumed. It is 4-2 to Mick and if I had any chance of overtaking Mick I needed to start now and hope he falters towards the end of the year.
So with all the pegs sorted and monies paid ( I have also decided to have a go at qualifying for the next Matchman League final) it was into the drawbag. Mick had gone in first and out comes peg 21 ( flyer) I go in and out comes 19. Never far away, we spend all week at work together and then always seem to draw next to each other.
Arriving at my peg it looked good, I could see a few swirls at 5m and thought the fish would be up today, so set up a couple of deep rigs to fish 5m, and a couple of shallow rigs, one a foot deep the other 2ft. I also set up a margin rig to fish to my right hand side. I had Matt Kearns for company on 18 and the progress he has made this year has been outstanding, not only that but he is a nice young man without the attitude a lot of his generation seem to have.
At the all in, I cupped a half pot of fishery 4mm pellets onto the 5m line and started off on the deep rig with a banded 6mm pellet. I was getting a few bites, yet not turning them into net fish, I was either foul hooking fish or pulling out of them. This went on for about 30 minutes and with only 3 fish in the net I was already behind both Mick and Matt. I tried the deep shallow rig and this got me a few more fish but it was not quick enough to compete. I tried long and shallow and again I would get a few fish but then nothing. It was now 2 hours into the match and I only had around 30lb in the net.
The change came when i went down the margin, I had been feeding from the off, around a dozen pellets every minute. First put in and 10lb added to the weight, another of around 4lb followed by a 6lb fish. 20lb in less than 10 minutes. I would persevere for the remainder of the match, switching sides occasionally to rest the swim but only for 5 minutes at a time. During this switch I also managed a couple of fish from the left hand side but these were smaller fish. I was still way behind both Mick and Matt and this would follow through to the end.
At the all out I breathed a sigh of relief, and was quite glad it was over. I had wasted 2 hours and knew I should have done better. Lesson learnt. I even gave Mick his Nugget before the weigh in.
Overall
1st Charlie Lancaster     277-04
2nd Richard Brain         262-14
3rd Mick Wright           239-04
4th Pete Archer            230-09
5th Matt Kearns           217-01
6th Tim Jolley               176-09
7th Keith Ashby           154-14
Mick now leads 5-2 in the challenge and my work is cut out to regain the lead, but I will be trying.

Wednesday saw myself and Vic travel to another new venue for me, Toft Lakes near Dunchurch, Warks. I had heard good reports of the place from Vic and a couple of other people. It does not look like a hole in the ground carp puddle, but is very mature couple of lakes, with nice comfortable platforms. I decided to fish the pole as I had been told the margins can be good. Vic was to fish the pellet waggler and the bomb.
I set up 4 rigs, one at 5m in around 5ft of water, another at 11m with 6ft of water, a shallow rig and a margin rig for 2ft of water. 
My plan was to fish corn at 5m, pellet at 11m and corn down the edge. I fed all the lines at the start and started off at 11m, with just a couple of small indications on the float to show for it, after 30minutes I was trying the corn at 5m, again I was getting small lightning bites which I suspected were from roach. I decided to refeed the margin line after an hour with corn, and went straight over it. The change was immense, 3 fish in 15 minutes, one around 10lb the others around 4lb. This line then went quiet and I was getting bitten corn, a sign of the red signal crayfish who seem to have a liking for sweetcorn. I refed and had a quick 10 minutes down the left hand swim for one fish around 5lb. 
Vic was having a mare on the waggler 5 fish hooked and only one out, a switch to the bomb saw a couple of foul hookers. I just kept plugging away in the margins with a double corn bait. Occasionally I would drag out a crayfish, but I was still picking up odd carp to 10lb. 
By rotating the margins I was able to keep in touch with the carp, finishing off with 18 carp and a couple lost due to hook pulls. Vic had got his act together and ended up with around a dozen fish in the net.
A good pleasure day out, a new venue and some more carp caught.


No comments:

Post a Comment