Saturday 6 August 2016

Arrans Lake 06 08 16 Marsh AC

There are some venues that I frequent that challenge me, fishing wise, Hartleylands Farm Nicks Lake is one I cannot get to grips with but am slowly increasing my weights and starting to compete. It does not help living 100 miles away and only fishing it once or maybe twice a year, but slowly it has taken shape. Another venue is Oakfield, this time only 25 mile away but still the same issue, I cannot get to grips with Red Kite Lake although I think I should be doing better. However, Today's match was on Arran's Lake near Chelmsford, a prolific water capable of anglers catching well in excess of 700lb and on its day a 1000lb of fish. I must admit I do not enjoy it, but I can understand why anglers go there. At least I only go there once a year.
Mick had volunteered to drive at promptly arrived at 0600 for the 1hr 20m trip to the main highlight of the day, Breakfast at Rosie's Cafe just 10 minutes from the venue.I can highly recommend it.
Onto the fishing, we had the first car park bank and upto the willow tree on the far bank. We had 13 anglers and could easily fit leaving a bit of space where possible. With the peg fees and pools paid it was onto the draw and with that I wanted a low number on the far bank, anything from 1-5 would have been nice, however peg 10 was to be my home. Mick had decided to hang back and where does he draw, peg 4. But he did have 2 good anglers in his section and would have his work cut out to compete. Still he did have another MK Nugget in his sights after leading 4-1 for quite a while now. I also had my eye on it and peg 10 although not ideal, looked good for a few fish.
I decided I was going to fish one line only today and set up four rigs to cover it, all shallow from 8 inches to 18 inches deep.This was on a top 2 plus short 4 but feeding shorter, I wanted to catch on a top kit if I could.However because the venue is so prolific, I knew that keepnets could be an issue in there placement. I had four out in front of me and hoped I would not need the other 3 sitting behind me. This cuts down on the amount of water in front of you, and pushes you further out than you want to fish. Hence the short four.
At the all in I started off on the 18inch rig flicking it out with a 6mm hard pellet to avoid the hordes of roach and rudd in the venue. This did not work very well as I was getting plagued with them, so a switch to 8mm and although I was still getting a few around the 8oz mark I also started to catch carp to around 5lb but mainly 4s. I was feeding regularly around 12 pellets every 20 seconds and lifting the rig out and placing it in again with regular rhythm. After an hour I reckoned on 50lb in the first net so switched to another, Tony on peg 11 had said he had about 70lb and 18 fish, I had 14 fish at this time.Clive the other side of me was getting odd fish but did not seem to be build his swim. John and Terry were catching well making regular trips to the scales with larger fish. Hour two flew by and before long I had done the second net and was into net three. Still feeding a dozen pellets short every 20 seconds or so, even if I was playing fish or unhooking them. Hour three  saw me complete the 4 four nets and an estimated 200lb bag of fish. Tony was also admitting to a double ton.
Our matches here are split into 2 x 3hour matches with a combined weight deciding overall placings.
On our bank weights were
Gino         58lb
Tony R    228lb
Keith      213lb
Clive         80lb
Terry       123lb
John        202lb
However on the far bank, Al (again) had plundered the larger fish and placed 372lb onto the scales. To lead overall by nigh on 150lb. The match was his to lose. Mick had 132lb, a large gap between us, but not unassailable on this water.The Watkins brother were also battling it out for family bragging rights and Tony was just sneaking it 202 to Simon's 182lb.
With keepnets repositioned I was aware that generally in the afternoon things improve. Hard to believe but the larger fish seem to turn up and things get madder. I had the three back up nets ready.
This time I started off on an 8mm pellet and just the top two, It took around 5 minutes for the bites to arrive, but they did and the stamp of fish improved to 5lb fish. A small difference but one that makes a huge difference to the end result. I was still feeding regularly and tried to up the feed and changing to shallower rigs to combat liners, but I was still catching and putting fish in the net. After an hour I had 21 fish for about 100lb, Hour two saw me fill the remaining two keep nets so it was onto the spares.The best depth seemed to a foot deep,but i had to keep ringing the changes as the feed was going in. With my nets replaced and back fishing It was a case of head down for the final hour. I was still catching well and a couple of foul hookers did not seem to bother the resident shoals of carp swimming in my peg. I knew Tony was still catching well and needed to keep going to the end to pip him for the section win. John was also catching but not in my section, so less focus was on him. All I could do was to keep going. Hour three saw those keepnets put to good use with regular fish filling them up. ALL OUT.
Again our bank was weighed.
Gino         151-12
Tony R     268-08
Keith        337-04
Clive        239-12
Terry        169-08
John         237-00
The far bank weights were
Tony W      283-08
Rod              72-00
Al               489-00
Keith P       245-08
Mick          241-00
Simon        244-08
Jim             154-00
Overall
1st Al Loader                  861-00
2nd Keith Ashby             550-04
3rd Tony Roberts            497-04
4th Tony Watkins            486-08
5th John Holdswoth        439-08
6th Simon Watkins          428-08
7th Mick Wright              373-08
8th Clive Pritchard          320-04
9th Terry Goff                 293-04
10th Keith Powell           245-08
11th Jim Boase               231-00
12th Gino Exell               209-12
13th Rod Turner             118-00
What a match, however to me it was not fishing, it was catching and to be honest although I enjoy the fact it is a one off club match aimed at boosting their personal best match weights, it does nothing for me.I have fished some big weight waters before with varied successes, as I have said at the top. Viaduct fishery in Somerset is an awesome venue, but you do have to work for your catch, Stafford Moor is the same. Alders Farm is not just another carp puddle, you have to work for the results. The more you put in and learn will only improve you. Give me that anyday
Well Done Al on breaking your own club record, I did say at the start you will have 700lb plus mate. MK Nugget came my way to make it 4-2. And Tony took a nugget off both Gino and his brother Simon.

     






No comments:

Post a Comment