Tuesday 18 October 2016

Alders Farm Tuesday Open 18 10 16

Three matches in 5 days, must be mad. First, the JJL event at Alders, Second, a match in Kent on the Saturday before the Tuesday Open at Alders Farm. I am knackered. Still I did manage to pinch a Nugget off Mick on the Saturday so now lead him 6-5 and with both of us fishing today, another nugget was at stake.
We had 13 anglers today, some getting in a sneaky practice before there league starts on Sunday. With everyone ready for the draw, we decided to fish Ash Lake. The weather was mild with a hint of rain in the air and the wind getting progressively stronger. At the draw, I dipped in first for a change and out came peg 1, not really where I wanted to be as I have not fished it since all the changes to the bank. From the patio, no fish were showing and this was not a good sign. Charlie was on his favourite peg 8 and Terry on 21. Pete Archer was on 29. Mick had drawn in form 27. Trevor Price was sat on peg 16.
I had heard that the previous day Terry had been clearing out some of the reeds on peg 1 to the right, so would fish a line along this new edge and set up a couple of rigs to cover the inevitable breakages and trashed rigs. I also set up a line to fish long at 11m due to the wind. Again two rigs were set up. My last line was at the corner of the wall.
At the all in I toss-potted both of the long lines with micros and shipped out a 6mm hard pellet. I missed the first couple of bites and connected with the third, a nice common around 3lb, out again and the same thing, miss a couple and then connect. I thought it might be the length of line between float and pole tip, so shortened it but this just meant I lost control of the float in the wind and it was not right. I adjusted the depth to just off bottom and a couple of fish came to the onion bag. At this point in the match I was struggling, I foul hooked a few fish and lost them and had 6 fish in the net when Dave Pontin went to the toilet, he was admitting to 17 fish, so I was way behind already. I had a quick look down the edge and had a couple of small carp around the 1lb mark so went back out after re-feeding the edge. Another couple of small fish on pellet and one on corn was getting me nowhere. I was getting bites but could not hit them despite several changes to the rig.
Back down the edge, and I started getting a few better fish on corn, only 3lb fish but better than the twister's. This again died after around 20 minutes and I went back onto the pellet. I would get a few fish shallow then have to go back onto the deck to keep bites coming. This was the story for the remainder of the match, I would catch a few then adjust, catch a few then adjust.
At the all out I knew I was battered, I had around 50 fish for a level ton. Garry on peg 2 was admitting to 40 fish on the tip at 20m with dave on 3 admitting to 40lb per net.
Overall
1st Terry Lancaster      Peg 21     202-06
2nd Trevor Price         Peg 16     201-11
3rd Charlie Lancaster  Peg 8       199-06
4th Pete Archer          Peg 29      163-08
5th Gary Page            Peg 28      152-01
6th John Clennet         Peg 5       129-13
Overall, I could not get my head straight today, there were fish in the peg and I felt that I did not do the peg justice. Lessons learnt today and feel better for having fished the peg, it has changed and with the colour dropping out a little probably knew it would be hard, so my 116-04 was not too far off the lower places, but still a long way off the winners.Still I did take a nugget of Mick, albeit by 6lb. Standings now 7-5.

No comments:

Post a Comment