Tuesday 25 October 2016

Alders Farm Tuesday Open 25 10 16

After feeling a little disappointed with my performance last week I was determined to do better this week. I had stripped out my elastics as they have been too tight over the last few weeks. I was starting afresh, with a few lighter elastics through puller bungs but with a normal bung still in tact, this will allow me to adjust the tension to suit. Hopefully this will help, landing a lot of hooked fish.
Today's match saw 14 anglers on the venue, and with the weather still relatively mild considering the time of year, everyone was hopeful of a good days fishing.
Most of the cafe bank had gone by the time I placed my hand in the pot and true to form peg 29 came out. Not too bad, it had done well over the weekend but the reality is it should be behind peg 30 in the section. Although the fish are normally a bit bigger on 29. Mick had drawn peg 4 and would have a good weight from there, with Madd on 3. Terry had secured the fancied peg 30 and with Trevor taking the last peg in the box he would be on peg 1. Pete Aldridge had peg 8 where 200lb came from last Tuesday, so he would need an eye kept on.
I decided to fish 3 lines today rotating them, to try to keep fish coming. My first line was at 11m and would be fished with 4mm fishery feed pellets and 6mm hookers. My second line was at 10 o'clock towards the end of the bush and would be a corn and pellet line. My last line was to be at 2+2 and would be a corn line. Even though I had only 15inches depth I was sure a few fish would show up on it.
At the all in I potted a small amount of 4mms to 11m and a small pot of corn and pellet to the left hand bush. I also threw around 8 grains of corn to 2+2. Shipping out a 6mm to 11m and the float stood still, nothing, I tried to kinder a few pellets over the top and still it stood still. Over to the left hand swim and a grain of corn saw the float dip slightly and fish number one was on and soon off. Re-feed and try the 2+2 line and nothing, so back out to 11m. This time the float buried and a foul hooked fished around 2lb was in the net. No more bites were forthcoming. Back to 10 o'clock and another fish, this time around 3lb, hooked in the mouth on corn.
I could here the banter between Terry and Trevor and at times it was better than the fishing. Madd was giving Ken some on pegs 2 and 3 as they do. Meanwhile, Miick was steadily plundering the carp out of peg 4.
After another fish from 10 o'clock and I noticed a swirl over the near line. Dropping in on it the float went and the soft elastic came out before subduing a nice 6lb fish. Back out and another. That's more like it. 2 in 2 puts but alas it tailed off again. Switching between the lines kept odd fish coming throughout, however I did notice the larger fish coming from the closer swim.
At the all out I felt that I had done alright, but could not get any number of fish lined up to make a good weight. I knew peg 30 and Terry had caught well throughout, I just hoped they were smaller fish. Trevor, I think had an enjoyable day, albeit sorting out customers at the shop to start with. He had caught well on the waggler and late on down the edge on his trademark maggot approach. Ken and Madd had a decent peg to peg battle but it was Mick who triumphed for his first win on the venue. And more importantly a MK Nugget from me.
Overall
1st Mick Wright             156-13
2nd Trevor Price            136-05
3rd Terry Lancaster       103-03
4th Keith Ashby              82-07
5th Ken Taylor                79-14
6th Phil Young                 76-12
I thoroughly enjoyed today, good craic was had by all, and a good days fishing. Now looking forward to fishing the Winter League on Sunday. A few lessons learnt today and a few things to try out.

No comments:

Post a Comment