Friday 14 October 2016

Joseph James Law Team Event Alders Farm 14 10 16

It is not often I get to fish a team event, due mainly to work commitments and the shift patterns making it impossible to fulfil league events unless I book loads of holidays to cover them. However, I got a phone call from Pete Morton, one of the moderators at the highly popular fishing forum www.maggotdrowning.com. A team has pulled out of the Joseph James Law Team event and can I fish, course I can, I was off anyway as I was fishing Hartleylands tomorrow, so another day's fishing with some of the other Maggotdrowners won't hurt.
The team consisted of Dave Pontin, Garry Toole, Dave Hart, Terry Pearce and myself. All had fished the recent MDs two dayer on the venue and had an idea of how to fish it.
On arrival at the fishery it was clear this was going to be a big event and Joseph James Law had pulled out all the stops and had everything organised to a tee.A bacon roll and a mug of tea supplied by the ever enthusiastic Alders Farm Catering team set me up for the day ahead. The match was to be a 5 aside match with 2 sections on both Ash and Pines and a single section on Oaks. To be honest I did not mind where I was placed, but in true MD tradition we drew lots and my home was to be A section on Ash Lake, all I needed now was a low number at the draw. Alas it was not to be peg 10. Not really where I wanted to be, it was flat calm and these pegs in the corner need a bit of a ripple on it. Garry had drawn peg 21, a good peg but will have his work cut out with Pete Archer next door. Dave had drawn the short straw and was going to peg 8 on Oaks, but we still had a couple of good pegs on Pines, Dave on peg 16 and Terry on 10. All to play for.
Match fishing scene had laid down the gauntlet regarding the match itself saying" as long as we beat MDs we will be alright". But there were plenty of class teams on show today and some very good anglers within those teams, after all Joseph James Law had put up a £1000 prize for the winning team, £500 for second and Lake winner prizes as well.
Onto my match I had decided to fish a tight match as the weather had got cooler, still feeding 4mm fishery pellets and fishing a 6mm, but had a bag of corn with me as well. I started off fishing 2+2 and after the first four put ins I had 4 fish around 2 1/2lb each, then nothing, I edged the rig out another 10 inches where it dropped off a couple of inches and nicked another couple of fish. It was fishing hard, I could hear Mark Russell fishing for Team England on peg 9 and D Pez from BAE on 12 both nicking a few fish, but no more or less than I. It was a heads down match. As the time progressed it became clear there were not the numbers of fish in the peg, that could do any damage to the early pegs, so I settled  for just trying to stay ahead of those around me. I tried coming in closer as sometimes just fishing before your feed can get you a few bites and switch to the side of the tree for another couple of fish, however it was not to be. I would get a couple of fish then nothing for 20 minutes. My final weight of 82-03 was good enough to beat 3 others in the 12 man section and I contributed 4 points towards the team total.Mark had beat me with 106-11. Not bad for a man who claimed only 70lb, I should have known better.
In hindsight I think a negative approach may have done better on the day, feeding everything via a tosspot and only a little at a time.
Garry had suffered on Peg 21 weighing in 36-08 for last in the section, Dave Hart had fished well and althogh he only weighed in 8-13 from Oaks it was enough for 7pts and a midway finish. Terry Pearce had drawn peg 10 on Pines and chipped in with 42-03 and 5pts whilst Dave Pontin secured second last in section with 5-07.
Team wise we came 10th from the 12 teams fishing, beating BAE and Match fishing scene.
Overall winners on the day were Team Drennan, with 2 section wins and 2 section 2nds and a 7 point score, this was enough to beat Team Garbolino by three points.
Overall individually
Colin Spencer ( Drennan)with 249-11 from Peg 3 on Ash
Steve Tucker (Garbolino)with 218-08 from Peg 2 on Ash
Steve Waters ( Drennan Oxford) 204-01 from Peg 1 on Ash
I have had an enjoyable day today, a good laugh with the other MDs, Dave taking photos of anybody with a name on their jacket, Joseph James Law have put so much effort and resource into a fishing match, if they deal with your legal needs with as much efficiency as they did today you would be a winner, they really have excelled themselves, from the moment you arrive and checking in, taking pre-match and match photos(from a distance) organising a buffet and hot drinks for after the event and providing the prizes for the presentation. Finally to everyone at Alders Farm, you do this week in week out and always have a welcoming smile.The lads who weighed in, did a sterling job, no moans, no gripes, very organised. Well done to all the winners either individually or in the teams. A credit to everyone involved and if I am invited next year within the team, I would definately take a days holiday for it.


2 comments:

  1. Great write-up pal, my fish counter couldn't of been working properly😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, the counter needs YOU to press it. Ooopps

      Delete