Sunday 30 October 2016

Meadowlands Warren Lake & Drennan Alders Farm Winter League 29-30 Oct 2016

Double Header this week and one more still to come. Having been stood down on my shifts on the Saturday and Sunday, I thought it would be a shame to waste it by doing house stuff. instead a couple of days fishing was in order. The first was a pleasure day on Warren Pool at Meadowlands Fishery near Coventry.
I had never fished this pool before so could not tell one peg from another, but with three of us we settled into 25, 24 and 23. Vic took 25, myself 24 and Pete 23.
Vic had set up a small method feeder and long pole, whilst I opted for the long pole and margins, Pete was on long pole and also set up a standard waggler. Pete was first into some fish, small perch and odd skimmers, whilst I opted to feed 4mm fishery pellets and fish a 6mm over the top. This worked and I was picking up small skimmers. A switch to a banded 8mm saw a few larger skimmers and a couple of carp around the 14lb mark. I found I could catch on a 6mm but only odd skimmers. In hindsight I should have fished more positively for the carp as I foulhooked a couple and I was sure there were a few in the peg. I tried the margins on and off throughout the session and it was only later in the day that a few fish showed with me catching another couple of carp. Vic had a couple of carp and lost just as many from his long line. Pete had one carp that must of gone 20lb and another late on that was just as big.
Overall, I enjoyed the day out and catch up with some good friends.
Sunday saw me guesting for the Pringles team in the Drennan Alders Farm Winter League. Not having a preference to which lake I fished, I was handed peg 24 on Pines, not a good area unless it was blowing in to the bank. The reason for this is the depth. At 5m I had a good 4ft and going out to 11m it was 6ft and still sloping off. I set up a rig to fish at 5m, 11m and a shallow rig. I also set up a couple of margin rigs just in case. My plan if you can call it that was to fish corn at 5m, pellet at 11m both up and down in the water, corn to the left hand margin and maggot over GB to the right edge.
At the all in I cupped a small pot of pellet onto both the outside swims and cupped in a half pot of corn to the left hand edge. I threw a handful of maggot to the left and a small pot of GB. Starting off at 5m I drip fed some corn in regularly to try to draw a few fish in. After 10 minutes I had my first fish of around 3lb.At least I was off and running. With no more bites forthcoming I switched to 11m and tried the deck rig. A couple of missed bites for nothing. Onto the shallow rig and second put in and another carp. 2 fish in the first hour. Not good.
It was fishing hard in our corner of the lake, Pete Brand on 23 was nicking odd fish but they looked smaller, Gary Toole on 25 was also struggling with a couple of fish. For the next two hours I kept rotating the lines in the hope that one of them would come good, alas with only another couple of fish to show for it I was pinning all my hopes that the maggot line down the edge would come alive in the last hour. I had been feeding it regularly and decided to cup in a full pot and sit over it. Within 10 minutes there were tail patterns and a bite. Just got to keep them coming. To cut a long story short I had 6 fish from this line. Maybe I should have fished it earlier. Maybe they just came in late.
Overall I finished with 36lb odd for 4th in the section of 9. Tony Kay winning it with 111lb from peg 12, Roy Makins second with 68lb and Matt Kearns with 55lb for 3rd.
Overall the team finished 4th on the day. Picking up a couple of points on the team in third.
The match Lake dominated the weights on the day with 181lb winning and plenty of ton weights as back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment