Tuesday 21 February 2017

Drennan Alders Farm Tuesday Open 21 02 2017

First of all I need to apologise to Mick for not covering last weeks match on the blog. However you do not have a lot to write about when you have 2 bites all match, one from a skimmer that came off half way back and the other from a crayfish that do not count. So a blank for me and 19lb for Mick from Peg 6 was enough for Mick to take a 2-0 lead in the MK Nugget stakes.
So onto today's match, a change of lake and hopefully a change of luck. Pines Lake has been a bit patchy during the lead up to this match but with some sensible pegging, everyone was hopeful of a few fish. Mick had drawn his usual flyer, Peg 5 whilst I was happy with Peg 22 on the dam wall. I had not fished the lake for a good 6 months, so set up a maggot feeder and waggler rod to fish past the pole line. A 12.5m rig fishing deep with pellet. A rig for top 4 and a margin rig with a longer than normal length of line above the float. I had a change of depth at top 6 at an angle.
After feeding my pole lines I started on the waggler with a 6mm pellet and after 15 minutes for no bites I switched over to the maggot feeder over the same line. Another 15 minutes passed and I was having visions of the previous fortnight. I could see Mick and he had already had a carp first chuck on the maggot feeder and was playing his second.Trevor Price had one, but apart from that it was quiet.
Out to 12.5m and nothing on pellet, a switch to maggot and nothing. A look to top four and I did not expect a bite but it dipped and fish number 1 was on. Nothing else followed so I decided to fish the top 6 line at an angle. After 5 minutes I had another fish in the net. A quiet spell followed so I shortened the rig and went to 12.5m down the edge. A small common around 1.5lb came but yet again nothing, I could not string two fish together. I decided to re- feed and went back out on the waggler and maggot feeders for 1/2hr to give the lines some rest. Back in on the pole lines I managed to sneak another couple of fish, however I was having to wait for bites. A good spell around the 4th hour saw a few more fish grace the net, but everyone else was catching now. Charlie and Mick were getting one a chuck, Charlie down the edge and top four and Mick on the maggot feeder. Del was nicking a few on the pole as was Jim Stubbings and I felt I was getting overtaken. A couple more fish towards the end of the match boosted my weight.
Overall
1st Charlie Lancaster   96lb 2oz
2nd Mick Wright         88lb 14oz
3rd Derek Smith         67lb 4oz
4th Trevor Price          66lb 4oz
5th Jim Stubbings        55lb 10oz
6th Keith Ashby          51lb 4oz
Well it was not to be today but at least the float went under, Mick has taken a 3-0 lead and is fishing well, hopefully I can pull it back went the Marsh matches start in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment