Sunday 2 April 2017

Alders Farm Spring League 02 04 17

I thought I would have a nice relaxing weekend, a trip to Arrans on Saturday and fish the friendly costcutter at Alders on the Tuesday. However on Friday, I had a call from Phil Young asking if I would stand in for him on the Spring League as he was unwell. As I cannot commit to the League fully as I work too many weekends making it unfair on my team mates, it was nice to fish when I can and if I can help out a good friend it was worth another early morning.
I would be fishing with Nick Pringle and Ian Pretty in the team of three event and after securing some bait from the fishery shop, was soon drinking a cup of tea in the cafe. Ian, Nick and Phil had agreed to rotate their sections during the League so I would be positioned in B section. The dam wall, The Corner of Death or on one of the two satellite lakes on the complex. With Monies paid, Ian was going to draw our peg. A section peg 7 Nick Pringle, B section peg 12 myself, C Section Peg 23 Ian.Not the best of draws.
For company I had Del Smith on 10, although not in my section, however Hugh Crawford on 15 was. So needed to keep an eye on him as well as the guys on Wood Lake behind me.
I opted to fish 4 lines today, 2 at 12m at 10 and 2, a line at 5m and the left hand margin. I started off fishing 12m at 2 and first put in with a 6mm pellet saw a 2lb skimmer come to the net. Ten minutes later and a carp around the same weight was in the bag. At least both keepnets were getting used. With no more bites I switched to 12m at 10, no bites so re-fed and a look at 5m. I had been throwing 3 or 4 grains of corn since the start and was hoping to snag a few. However, nothing.
A quick look down the edge saw no signs of fish. It was fishing quite hard in the corner of death, Del was rotating his lines and getting nowhere. Hugh was struggling. Back out to 12m as this was the only place I had had a bite and another hour on it saw 3 more 2lb fish in the net. I was hardly set the place alight. I just kept rotating the lines in the hope that on one of the fish would turn up.
By the fourth hour I had around 25lb in the net and went down the edge for the fourth time. This time the float dipped and a carp was soon in the net. Del was getting a few indications at 6m and Hugh was nicking odd fish from his margin swim. I decided to fish the last couple of hours down the edge as this offered the best chance of a few fish. Switching to maggot on the hook over GB I was soon getting a few fish until the last half hour when even this line died. I felt I had done alright after the match.
My catch of 71lb was enough for fourth in the section. A good points score from an unfancied peg, beaten by one on the dam wall and the two anglers on pump lake. Unfortunately we tied for last on the team front, Ian having 61lb from peg 23 and Nick 59lb from Peg 7.
Although it seems as if the lake fished hard, it was another fair match with plenty of peg to peg battles. All sections were won with over a ton with lots of good back up weights.
My next match is on Tuesday on the Alders Farm Costcutter.

No comments:

Post a Comment