Sunday 3 September 2017

Marsh AC Orchard Place Lake 6 02 09 17

I must admit my fishing has been put on the back burner for a few weeks. One of the factors associated with packing up smoking is that your sense of smell returns. I used to smoke 30 a day for the last 40 years and many of them were inside the house. Now, with my sense of smell returning, I know that the house needs decorating from top to bottom and this has taken priority.
However, I still had a club match to fish at a new venue to me, the lads fished it last year and were impressed. Orchard Place near Kings Hill, Kent.The complex has a lot of lakes and we were on Lake 6. A quick chat with Mark Hathway, put me straight on tactics and baits and I was ready with a plan.
Mick was driving and another early start beckoned, but the motorways were clear and we progressed calmly towards an awaiting breakfast.
With monies paid, and peg numbers sorted, we decided on 11 to 22, as someone has mislaid 1 to 10. We had 12 anglers but Tony, Jim and Terry managed to squeeze everyone in although some pegs would only offer room for 2 keepnets. Mick as usual would draw first, Peg 21 whilst my right hand pulled 18 from the bag. Mick seemed happy with his draw, just off an island with good looking edges. I was a little further up on the same bank on the end of the point. Again I was happy with the peg, although the lake was flat calm.
My plan was to fish 6mm pellets feeding 4mms and switching to sloppy ground bait if it goes off. I was going to fish at 2+2 trying to bring them in closer to a top kit if possible. I would start off on the deck and gradually fish up in the water under a jigga to .17 mainline to .15 B911X size 18 hooklength. I set this for 2ft but had another standard rig set at a foot deep. My deep rig was a DS float taking 3 number 8 shot to a 18 B911X hook. It is a strange float to use as it takes ages to settle but once you are used to it brilliant for this sort of fishing.
At the all in I started feeding 4 or 5 pellets every 20 seconds and fishing on the deck with white hydro. A few missed bites before fish number one was in the net. an F1 around 2lb, another couple followed and I was getting into a rhythm of hook, feed, land, feed, ship out, feed and so on. It was busy fishing but worth it as I was catching. With an hour gone, I reckoned on having 20 fish for about 42lb. Others around me were nicking odd fish with Gino next peg on 12 fish, Dave on 7. I could see Mick's landing net handle going in and out regularly so knew he was doing well. The others were behind me, but Tony Roberts and the Watkins Brothers were catching well.
I was now on the Jigga, lifting and dropping all the time, and catching well on it, this lasted for about another hour before the rig got smashed. Out with the foot deep rig and I was able to carry on catching. After 3 hours I knew the ton was passed. It was now a case of juggling keepnets. I could only get two into the water and with a 70lb limit I knew I would need a third, maybe a fourth. In the distance you could hear the drone of aircraft, a look up though and you saw a spitfire on rehearsals for a show. Well done the pilot, amazing to watch and worth a few missed bites.
I managed to keep fish coming throughout the session, but had to keep adjusting the feed. 4 or 5 pellets when the fish were coming up and 20 to 30 when they dropped back down. I was now on a top three but as I was fishing shallow a lot of the time it was not a great deal of difference. I even had a spell where the float was set up 8 inches deep and I was still catching. A steady end to the match would see me finish with around 120 fish. 30 in each net. I had caught well throughout, a couple of small things have cost me. Word was Simon had 150 fish with brother Tony also admitting to 120 fish, and he was in my section, Tony Roberts was owning up to around 180lb and Mick was admitting to having had a good day and a grin.
Chris was first to weigh in with 94-04, Jim followed with 75lb. Tony Roberts was then next to up the stakes to 184lb. Simon then tipped 6 keepnets onto the scales for 298lb 8oz. Brother Tony could not match the exploits of Simon but still managed 233-08 for second so far. Terry kept the ton weights coming with 104lb, whilst Richard placed 43-12 on the board.
I was next and was thinking that 3rd place on my first visit to the venue would be nice, couple that with a MK Nugget off of Mick and I would be happy. However, my four nets went 237lb and into second. Gino was next to weigh. Having persevered with paste throughout the match he had done well with 157lb. Dave again was struggling with his health but still crept in with 61lb 4oz before we got to Mick. Mick was admitting to a good day and knowing Mick as I do, know that he rotates his fish so there is not normally a lot of difference between them. So first weigh goes 58lb and I am thinking 58 x 4 nets equals 232lb it will be close for the MK Nugget. Fortunately for me the other nets came up just short and the scales settled on 213lb 12oz. Rod brought up the rear with 42lb 8oz.
Overall
1st Simon Watkins 298-08
2nd Keith Ashby   237-00
3rd Tony Watkins 233-08
4th Mick Wright   213-12
5th Tony Roberts  184-00
6th Gino Excell     157-00
Well first time at Orchard Place, excellent fishing and made to feel welcome. To come second on the day to stop a Watkins 1-2 was pleasing and to take another MK Nugget off Mick was also a highlight. Mick reliably informs me the the score is now 9-8 to him.
Next week I am at Shearsby Valley Lakes for John Buxton's Memorial Match with a few maggot drowners. Another venue I have not fished before, hope its as good as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment