Saturday 16 September 2017

Shearsby Valley Lakes 09 09 17 John Buxton Memorial.

Many, many, moons ago a Gentleman by the name of John Buxton started posting a few threads on www.maggot-drowning.com. One of those was a charity match. It was fairly local to me and as I had a free Saturday I promptly put my name down. I had never been to Holly Farm before, so a quick practice was called for. I tried a couple of things on the day and they all caught me a few fish. I was happy and looking forward to the match.
Match day duly arrived and it was a pleasure to see such a great turnout for the event. John had badgered and pestered nearly everyone he knew to raise a few extra quid for the chosen charity. That was the measure of the man. He was a mountain of a man, big and strong, but with a wit and charm that you could not forget. I have never forgot him or his lovely wife Lynn. Always doing something for charity, even though he himself had a disability. I have met and befriended many people through John and for that alone I thank him. Sadly John passed away a few years ago and his friends have tried to remember him this way.
I had never been to Shearsby Valley Lakes before but the little information I managed to glean was it was fishing below par. A lot of the weekend and midweek matches were being won with around 40lb. Pellet was the dominant bait but corn could also work.
I arrived nice and early to be one of the first people there. I popped into the cafe and felt compelled to eat a large breakfast. Pete Morton, a long time friend from Maggot Drowning, Jinx and Marsh AC arrived from a rather leisurely trot from his new home in Barnsley, Match organiser Dave Pontin and Henry Williams arrived along with around 40 other anglers. I am glad I arrived early.
Dirk Williams and Mark Causer, again from over 10 years ago arrived and it was great to see them again.
The match was to be split over two pools Alders and Willow. I drew Willow 33 and after a quick chat was told it was not the best of areas, but fish swim so I went there with a positive attitude. My peg was to the right of a gap between islands. It was not in my peg but I did have a couple of features on the island. Two bushes either side at 14.5m and a clump of grass again at 14.5 in between them. It was a fairly uniform far edge and I set up a .2 NG ghandi float for tight across. Coming back towards me I had around 3ft at the bottom of the shelf and a DS .4 diamond to a size 18 B911 F1 banded pellet on a hair. A couple of margin rigs either side completed the set up. I had a nice depth and plenty of natural vegetation.
What was really disheartening was seeing nearly everyone chopping worms and preparing maggots and casters. Things started badly just after the all in and the lad on the next peg caught a skimmer on the worm. The lad opposite was also catching small silvers, also on the worm.
I started off fishing pellet at the bottom of the shelf feeding via a toss pot so it was not overfed.A couple of grains of corn with 4mm feed pellets. After an hour I had nothing to show for my efforts, I had tried the margins for no bites. I decided it was long or bust. After 15 minutes a small dip on the ghandi and a carp around 4lb was in the net. His mate followed 20 minutes later by the clump of grass.
Sadly that was my lot, I did have another bite I missed on corn and I also foul hooked a fish last put in. The regulars either side beat me but not by a lot. I reckoned on 8 or 9lb and threw back. One of them weighed 11lb and the other 15lb, so one or two fish.
Overall it was an enjoyable day, the organisation by well run, the staff at Shearsby Valley are match anglers and know there stuff. The cafe is clean and food is good. Would I go back? Yes I think I would but once the weights start going upwards rather than downwards.
John would of been proud of the efforts of Dave and his team. It even rained on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment