Saturday 21 October 2017

Monks Lake 2 Marsh AC 21 10 2017

We must be absolutely mental to go fishing in gale force winds brought on by Storm Brian, couple that with torrential rain heading our way.
We knew it was going to be a bit blowy as soon as I had collected Mick and hit the motorway. It was busier than normal and as soon as there was any sort of gap the wind hit you, pushing you to one side. Sensible precautions were the order of the day. We still made good time and were soon pulling into the car park at Monk Lakes. We were on Lake 2, a lake I have fished only once before and drew a dolly peg and won the lake. Today would be a bit harder, my dolly peg on the spit was not in and the bridge had gone. Dave had decided to fish the match trying to give everyone a spare peg. As there were only 12 of us this only comprised the car park bank and the left hand part of the spit.
After fuelling up on a bacon stick from the mobile snack wagon on site, we were ready for the draw. Mick had gone in early and I was hanging back. Out comes peg 60 for Mick and I have peg 58 on my scrap of paper. Yet again, we are pegged next to each other. At least we would have a tree in between us.I had Gino, who was in a rich vein of form at present, the other side of me. Tony Roberts was a little further up the bank and needed to beat Mick by a couple of places to win the overall league title. It would be interesting to see how it all turned out.
I set my stall out to catch on the deck, it was blowing well and gusting all over the shop but the calm patches were easily reachable and thought I could fish comfortably at 12.5m, I settled on 11m though just in case the wind got up even more. I had the same depth so used the same rig. Rig wise it was a DT Diamond .6g to .17 NGauge and a size 16 B911x. I also set up a DT Diamond in a .4g for the right hand edge. This time I had a hair-rigged banded pellet on a size 18 B911x.My final rig was a small Drennan crystal float for fishing shallow. It was set at 2ft with .19 NGauge to a size 18 B911x to white hydro.Bait would be 6 and 8mm hard pellets and meat on the 5m line. I did bring a feeder rod with me but the whistle went before I had a chance to set it up.
At the all in I cup in some 4mm pellets onto both 5m and 11m lines, leaving the margin until I was planning to fish it properly. I also put half a pot of 6mm meat onto the 5m line. I started off doing something a little bird told to try ages ago but had forgotten. I shipped my top three down the edge with a 8mm piece of meat and fed nothing, after 5 minutes the float buries and fish number one was on and off just as quick. There is definitely something in this. That was a bonus fish lost and I would need to work the margin properly now.
I started off over the 5m line and again first drop in had a carp around 4lb and I was off and running, A couple of skimmers followed, so I re-fed and went out to 11m, whilst I can. Fishing on the deck in the blustery conditions was not easy going, even with a longer than normal line between float and pole tip. Back shotting helped a lot but had to use a couple of number 4s to make it work. A couple of small F1s came during this spell, but also quite a few liners. Instead of shallowing up, I added a bit more line and held it all still. Another couple of fish before the liners appeared again. I picked up the shallow rig and after 5 minutes of pinging 3 or 4 pellets I was nicking a few better fish, a mix of F1s and Carp.I carried on throughout the match, I mean it is October. The last half hour I went down the edge properly. A banded 8mm tight in to the bank accounted for my best fish of the day 12lb.
I think everyone was relieved when the whistle went for the all out. We had all got battered by the wind, although it could have been a lot worse. The rain was only sporadic and although most of my gear was damp it was not sodden.
John started the ball rolling on the scales with 20lb although he did leave early.

Simon 68-12
Simon put 68-12 on the scales and word was that would be enough to win it. Chairman dave placed a level 16lb on the scales before a tie with Richard and Chris both recording 37-04.
Richard 37-04
Chris 37-04



























Jim chipped in with 18lb of barbel.


Gino 29-08


Yours Truly 83-04


Mick not quite 48-12

Gino placed 29-08 onto the board with mainly feeder caught fish. I then placed my three nets on the scales to overtake Simon with 83-04. Mick was next to weigh, 48-04 and the MK Nugget was going my way. Terry placed 5-04 on the scales. Tony had sneaked in front of Mick with 60-12 before Jim placed 35-00 on the board.
Overall
1st Keith Ashby  83-04
2nd Simon Watkins 68-12
3rd Tony Roberts 60-12
4th Mick Wright 48-12
5th= Richard 37-04
5th= Chris Withall 37-04
So that is it for another Marsh AC year. As ever it has been a good year with plenty of ill health hampering our fishing, yet we still get out when ever we can and enjoy the craic. The Marsh AC lads are a credit to angling, they do not fish for the riches on offer because there ain't none, yet month in month out they turn out regardless of the conditions.Congratulations to Mick Wright on winning the Overall League title, something I know you have wanted since we joined all those years back. Well done to all the framers in all of the matches this year, it has been a pleasure to compete with you.
Finally to Mick, a long standing friend and travelling companion. It has again been a pleasure. After all our matches this year the score is situated at 10 each. A decider is on the cards.

1 comment:


  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete