Wednesday 22 November 2017

Oakfield Revisited 22 11 2017

Many moons ago I used to fish Oakfield Fishery at Kingswood,  Aylesbury. They have a couple of lakes back then and rotated between Brook and Kingfisher. The owners then added a couple of other new lakes and the place started to take off. Red Kite has become their main match lake nowadays and although quite open and wind affected offers plenty of sport for the regulars.
It was a chance meeting with Dave Stratful, who now looks after the catering and matches at Oakfield , that gave both Mick and I the desire to revisit the fishery and take our chances.

With 18 booked on it would be a good test for us. The MK Nugget series is over for the year as agreed by the both of us, and although we are fishing a match, it really is just a pleasure day for us both.
We both arrived nice and early and with Dave donning his pinny behind the counter, a full English breakfast was soon being devoured by both Mick and I, a couple of cups of tea washing it down.
I had exchanged a few texts with Gary Thorpe prior to the visit and he suggested that corn may start working on the pole lines. So that was one kilo removed from the freezer. I would also set up both a bomb rod and a Atomic laced maggot feeder. I would fish these for the first hour regardless of where I drew.
I was quite happy with peg 23, I would have the wind on my back and with the breeze gradually getting up to 50mph, I was glad of it. Mick had drawn 29, again a peg with the wind on his back.
Mick would base a lot of his fishing around fishery pellets and maggots, whilst my attack would be predominantly corn with maggot as a back up.
At the all in, I cupped in half a pot of corn onto the 11m line, whilst I could hold the pole out there. I also fed a line at 6m by hand. Leaving them to settle I started on the bomb with double corn, just over half way. I could catapult 4 or 5 grains over this line. I also fed a few grains at around 25m.
I was fishing double corn on a hair rig to a size 16 QM1 and although I was getting a few pulls, they were just liners, nothing concrete. A switch to the maggot feeder brought 2 micro roach impersonating fish. So back onto the bomb.With an hour gone I saw only 1 fish caught on the bomb but Pete Alland further down on 27 was getting a few on the pole.
Out to 11m with a single grain of corn and a tosspot of corn. After 5 minutes a bite and a good sized F1 was steadily coming back to the waiting net. One last ditch run for freedom and it was off, Damn or words to that effect. Back out and a longer wait, in hindsight I probably did not feed via the toss pot at this point. But a bite did come eventually. A run of 2 or 3 F1's would come but then nothing. I did lose a couple during this spell and found that by feeding 10 grains of corn and 6 or 7 6mm pellets after every fish or 5 minutes whichever was first was the way to go. I was still at 11m but the wind was getting stronger as the day wore on.
I have ended up with 6 F1's and a single mirror carp and a couple of more micro fish for 24lb 11oz and a thank you for coming. Beaten both sides by a couple of fish.
Overall
1st Pete Alland 56-10 Peg 27
2nd Chris Davis 40-02 Peg 10
3rd Mick Wright 30-02 Peg 29
4th Paddy Mack 30-00 Peg 33
So not too far off and a few more lessons, I think a longer tail on the bomb with a softer hair and single baits may have been a better approach. Also A lighter rig .4g with spread out shotting worked better than a heavier .6g rig in the conditions.Also small corn worked well.
Mick done well creeping into 3rd spot with a few late fish down the edge on maggots and a nice brown envelope. Well done to all the framers.

No comments:

Post a Comment