Sunday 25 March 2018

Marsh AC Claygate Lakes Eva 24.03.2018

As a few of you already are aware I have been undergoing various hospital tests and appointments over the Xmas and New Year periods, add in the snow," blast from the east", and his smaller brother has curtailed my fishing. The health issues are now being dealt with by both the doctors and myself, so onward's and upwards. I am happy to report that I am back into fishing mode.
My first match coincided with the start of the Marsh AC 2018 season. The venue Claygate Lake Eva. A difficult venue, but a fair one. Basically it  is full of F1s, there are odd skimmers and roach but to do well you need to plunder the F1s. There are odd carp in the lake but you cannot target them. If you nick one then great.
Mick had volunteered to drive and although we had arranged to meet up at 0530. I was wide awake by 4am and looking forward to the day. I had not been out since early December and who know's what my gear was like. It looked alright from the outside of tubes, no moisture lingering about. My bag had been emptied of all rot able matter prior to packing some Micros,4mm, 6mm GOT sinking pellets, meat. Troy had agreed to pick me up some maggot in case it was really hard. If I hard left anything behind then so be it.
As is always the case with Claygate we tend to stop off at Monks Lake near the fishery for  breakfast and a cup of tea of coffee. Today was no exception.
Arriving in the car park at Claygate, we could see a few of the others unloading their gear and renewing acquaintances from last October. Hand shakes all round, club and match fees paid, it was onto the draw. Unfortunately only 9 anglers made it to the draw. As is customary, I let Mick draw his flyer before I went into the bag. Myself Peg 22, a double peg at the entrance to the lake close to the island where hopefully a few fish will be lurking. Mick had indeed drawn well Peg 3 on the opposite bank and a good area for F1s. The other MK member is Troy, pegged on another good peg 31 with the gap of the island to go at.
I planned to fish a couple of spots along the edge of the island either side of a small snag at 12.5m. An area around a metre off the island at 14m and a 2+2 line where I had the same depth as across at 12.5m. I also set up a small .2g DS Green for up in the water.

All were tied to .17 NGuage to .15 of the same. .3g DT Diamonds with a small bulk around 6 inches from either a size 16B911F1 or a size 18. White Hydro completed the set up.
I started off feeding micros with a 6mm banded hard pellet on the hook and first put in, I had an F1 around 1 1/2lb and it was if I had not been away. That feeling stayed with me as I foul hooked my next 3 fish losing them all. In hindsight I think it was because I was lifting at every small dink.A quiet remainder of the hour with a couple of smaller fish. Simon opposite was catching well, small fish but he did have a carp of around 7lb hooked in the fin safely netted. Tony next door was dobbing bread along the reed line, he had nicked a few fish and to be fair there was not a lot between any of us. Clive was catching switching between pole and the tip.
A look on the 14m line resulted in another F1 around 1 1/2lb but it was getting harder, bites were getting more difficult to read. Simon was the only one really catching the rest were just trying to catch up. Chairman Dave, came for a walk admitting to 4 fish,

Troy getting the Rods Ready

Troy on 5 and Terry on 3, we were all in front of those scores but not by a lot. I needed to up the catch rate and decided to ping 4 or 5 4mm pellets over my lines to see if this made any difference to the catch rate. It did, by keeping a regular few pellets trickling through the water column, a few fish came. I had to wait for a bite but they were more positive. 

Tony's dobbing had slowed, maggots brought roach and perch into his swim. 
Simon had slowed down whilst Clive was still nicking odd fish on the tip between the island.

At the all out I felt as though I had needed another 30 minutes to pip Simon. I think I got the tactics right eventually but it took too long for the brain to engage. But that's fishing.
Overall
1st Simon Watkins     36-00
2nd Keith Ashby        34-00
3rd Mick Wright        32-08
4th Clive Pritchard     29-00
5th Tony Roberts       26-08
6th Jim Boase            25-04
7th Dave Collier        25-00
8th Troy Hillyer         18-08
9th Terry Goff           12-04
It was great to get back out on the bank after such a long lay off. I do not think I have ever gone that long without wetting a line before.But getting your health right  is important, I am told it leaves you time to do the things you enjoy for longer. So second overall, a nice shiny MK Nugget from Mick and a new toy to play with on my next outing. A new electric barrow courtesy of Neil Dudsbury to help me getting to and from my peg. Certainly looks the part. 

1 comment:

  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete